Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Amnesty International Australia: An activist looks back - PERSONAL REFLECTION

8/18/2015
     "Lifetime activist Peter Jones gives his own personal reflections on his life-journey in human rights, and some insights on the growth of Amnesty.
     I was a schoolboy in England when I saw the article in the (Sunday) Observer by Peter Benenson in 1961 that led to the founding of Amnesty. Two years later I joined the new Amnesty student group at Oxford University and by the end of the decade, I had started a school group at the high school where I started my teaching career.
     In those days, at the height of the Cold War, each group adopted three prisoners: one from the Western bloc, one from the soviet bloc and one from a non-aligned country. Examples might include a prisoner of conscience in South Vietnam, in Poland and in Indonesia."
Click here his complete article.