On Feb. 22-25, 2018, AI-USA Annual General Meeting (AGM) was held in Washington DC . Many people from US and other countries attended this meeting.
In addition to Angie Hougas (Member, Board of Directors) and myself, other participants from Wisconsin were:
- Darla LeClair, City Councilwoman for the City of Two Rivers, WI;
- Jacob Pankratz, WI Legislative Coordinator (LC), AI-USA;
- Taylor Zamzov, from District 1 (WI), Student at Winona State Univ;
- Mary Anderson-Petroske, Teacher, Superior, WI;
- Olivia Anderson-Petroske, Student.
After the AGM, on Feb 26, 2018, above individual and over 320 members & activists lobbied their representatives on Capitol Hill. The focus were these 3 issues:
1. Resistance to cutbacks in aid to refugees and migrants (Trump is requesting a 33% cutback) and to the cutback in refugees entering the US.
2. Support for a bill to put strong pressure on Myanmar to end the ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya and of punish the bad acting generals.