Friday, March 27, 2015

Release Human Rights Activist Mehdi Khodaei - ONLINE PETITION

from United for Iran
     Five years ago, my cousin Mehdi was arrested by the Islamic Republic of Iran. Prior to his arrest, Mehdi and I worked together as student activists on human rights issues throughout Iran. After a month in prison and continued threats from the Iranian government forced me to flee the country, I was eventually granted asylum by the United States, where I continue my activism. But Mehdi was not so lucky.
     Mehdi had been an active board member of Human Rights Activists in Iran (HRAI), an organization known for exposing human rights abuses in Iran and helping the families of political prisoners. In 2009, Mehdi was actively involved in pro-democracy protests as a key organizer for the student wing of HRAI. He also worked to produce and distribute human rights pamphlets publicizing abuses by the IRI. The government responded brutally, and over 30 members of HRAI, including Mehdi, were arrested. Ultimately, Mehdi was sentenced to 7 years in prison for “propaganda against the system." 
Click here for more information and the ONLINE PETITION.