Thursday, September 1, 2016

GOOD NEWS! DRC youth activists Fred and Yves are free - thanks to all of you who wrote, tweeted and demonstrated for their release - NEWS

Amnesty International
September 1, 2016

     A massive thank you to the 170,000 of you who stood up for Fred and Yves and demanded their release. Your solidarity and activism kept hope alive for the many youth activists at LUCHA (Lutte pour le changement or “fight for change”) – the organization that Fred and Yves belong to.
LUCHA, which shared Amnesty’s Ambassador of Conscience Award this year, was instrumental in securing the men’s release, having met President Joseph Kabila just days before the two men walked free.
       “I am happy to finally be free after more than 17 months of imprisonment,” said Fred. “I thank Amnesty International and all those who fought in one way or another for my release. I look forward to seeing my family and friends to continue the fight for democracy and freedom in my country.”

Click here for ENTIRE article. 
Click here for VIDEO of their celebration. (Facebook link)

Note: This case was a 2015 Write for Rights case. Thank you so much for your letters.