Saturday, November 21, 2015

How to talk about human rights with anyone - ACTION

Amnesty International Australia
Nov 19, 2015

    I recently had the pleasure of hearing renowned linguist Anat Shenker-Osorio speak on how we can get our messages to resonate with more people. It got me thinking about all the difficult, and sometimes awkward, conversations I’ve had with people on things I care about, and the error of how I handled their objections.
     My argument technique was simple: ‘logic’ them over to my way of thinking. Counter their words with the facts, because no one can possibly argue with cold, hard facts! (pro tip: they totes can).
The result? I have ‘agreed to disagree’ with racist cab drivers. I’ve found myself deep into the refugee crisis with pub pundits who didn’t realise what they were in for. I’ve been accused of pretentiousness and hypocrisy when championing a free-range meat selection at the supermarket.
     I’ve learnt the hard way something that Anat takes as a ‘yeah, duh’ moment: facts don’t sway people.
     I’ve also now found my friendship circles filling with ‘community organisers’ who mobilise everyday people to petition/rally/write to their MPs on important issues. A common conversational approach used in community organising is to ‘explore, equalise, elevate’.
Next time you feel your blood pressure rising, try this to get the outcome you want.

Click here for ENTIRE article.